Who are we?
Since taking on Peregrine House in 1995, Dr Kevin and Teresa O’Sullivan have worked hard to help the staff to earn our reputation as the leading care home in the area. The home remains entirely independent and is not part of a large care home group. It means we can concentrate on excelling at what we do without the bureaucracy of a large organisation.
The team here have achieved success and popularity on the simple premise that the needs of our residents are paramount, with all our infrastructure and management centred on ensuring they are not only comfortable, but happy in our care.
Residents generally come to us with some degree of physical infirmity, and often with dementia. We provide a home when they are no longer able to care for themselves, offering facilities, skills and time beyond that which relatives and friends can realistically provide.
We constantly seek to improve our facilities and the environment of the home to make it better for residents and staff alike. Originally built as a large Victorian home in 1890, significant new building and refurbishment work was undertaken and formally opened by the Marquis of Normanby in May 2011. It provided a further eight new resident bedrooms with en-suite wet room/shower rooms while upgrading seven existing bedrooms to incorporate the same improved facilities.
Importantly for the care of our dementia patients in particular, the new build created an internal secure courtyard and enclosed garden. Its design also provided a new entrance and reception, staff/training room, a laundry, a large specially-equipped assisted bathroom and two dry storage rooms.
Since then a further project has been initiated to provide further bedrooms, along with the provision of larger, enhanced lounge and dining room space on the ground floor. This work concludes the expansion of Peregrine House to provide a total of thirty five bedrooms of which sixteen are on the ground floor.